Simplistic thinking

I'm reading M. Scott Pecks - The Road Less Travelled and Beyond. Long term readers of this and my previous blog which was named Further on up the road in part in tribute to Mr Pecks biggest selling The Road Less Travelled will know that I have a bit of respect for Mr Peck.

I'm early on in this the third in the "road" series. The subtitle is Spiritual Growth in an Age of Anxiety. I've had it around a while just not read it. Anyway the first bit is all about thinking. In particular Peck points out that many many people suffer from far too simplistic thinking and don't use anywhere near the full potential of their brains to think widely enough.

I have to say so far I'm right on board with much of what is being said. You see the evidence around you with people making snap judgements based on very little processing, either as they led to conclusions by overly relying on the media to spoonfeed them their opinions or simply make overly simple decisions as thinking more completely is difficult and challenging.

Anyway it's spured me on to try to be better at thinking, to consider multiple angles, the history of things, try to consider other perspectives etc. One piece of advice given to me a while back that I try to remember, particularly if I feel myself getting angry at someone is to remember there is every possibility they are right and I am wrong.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Comments

  1. Rock and roll brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a good weekend, youself, furtheron.

    I'm currently reading A Life Backwards. Haven't tried any of The Road Less.

    But sometimes thinking too much just confuses me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope you have a lovely one yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fantasy Signature Guitar

Let's talk plectrums...

12 String Guitar - Bridge Doctor Installation