Book review - The Turin Shroud Secret, Sam Christer

The Turin Shroud is one of the great enigmas of religious history.  Rarely viewed in public and even more rarely examined by experts who have largely declared it to be, if not an outright fake, at least not what it is claimed it is.  Even simply the age of the cloth appears incorrect by carbon dating for example.  Its very secretive early history adds to the mystery.

This novel is actually a murder mystery with a totally unique rewriting of the Shrouds origins underlying the modern thriller.  I don't want to spoil the plot for you but there are two threads to the story and you wonder how they will tie together at the end.  When they do, it wasn't in the way I expected them to.  As a thriller this ticks all the right boxes, competent cops battling against sinister forces with long histories of murder to protect their secrets.  Some globe trotting to add to the fun, a series of murders you feel must be connected with the other line of inquiry and a reveal of the Shroud's secret that was a big eyebrow raiser for me - Roger Moore style!

This book is very much in the Dan Brown genre of thrillers but very much better written in my view.  There is just one mistake the author has made - stating very clearly this is all a work of fiction, I wonder if there had been much press about how this was based on "fact" a la the Da Vinchi code whether this would reach the daft interest levels that book did?

One point I must make for the squeamish.  This book does include a couple of scenes about necrophelia which whilst important for the plot line I found extremely uncomfortable reading, if you are of a weak/nervous disposition don't say I didn't warn you.

A double thumbs up on the FITUBRS - cracking read.

Comments

  1. A few weeks ago by now a book was released about the shroud -and the writer was featured on Charlie Rose. I don't remember if it was this book or another one exploring the science of "all this" that was featured on that show?

    STAGG

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good work source: Best Headphones for Metal Music

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fantasy Signature Guitar

12 String Guitar - Bridge Doctor Installation

Let's talk plectrums...