Gig Review - Mumford & Sons London O2 11 Dec 2012

Last night the Furtheron clan, minus number 1 son who is still in Wales, trooped off to see Mumford & Sons at the O2 arena at North Greenwich.

They stated that this was the largest gig they'd ever performed in doors and that the were "bricking it" playing such a large venue.  However you'd never have believed it.  We saw them last at Hammersmith Apollo back in Oct 2010 at the end of their whirlwind breakthrough year.  Now at that gig they looked genuinely overwhelmed and amazed at just being on a stage like that with a crowd that size - well the O2 is of course up a league or so from there but from the off they looked confident, in charge and frankly that they belonged!  They owned the stage last night.  Of course a second massive selling album under their belts with consequently much more known material and coming off the back of a long touring schedule including well received gigs in the USA no doubt have given them a more honed edge to live performance.

They are still a bit of an oddity Mr Mumford and friends, folk and country influences abound but mixed with a heavy rock flavour - there was one point where all four were heads down rocking out at the front of the stage with synchronized heads-a-banging pose that would not have disgraced Status Quo or many other rock Gods!  The odd bit of that being a Martin acoustic and a tenor banjo as part of the instrument line up... you don't see that at a Megadeth gig now do you?  Talking of instrumentation one of their strengths is the multi-instrumentalist nature of them, banjos, acoustic guitars, electric guitars, mandolin, upright bass, electric bass, full drum kits, accordion  keyboards... I've no doubt still missed something from that list and add the backing horn and string section and they produce a hell of a noise!  And all of it very Mumford & Sons - again one thing setting these guys out is that they have through all this clashes of influences they have forged a very unique British sound, one the crowd loved.  They moved from the sing-a-long hits to quieter more reflective numbers with ease, the vocal harmonies were flawless to my ears and the crowd loved it all.

The latest material has more electric and rockier influences - I can see them moving through different phases as they incorporated other genres in their output and hope that they continue for a long time - they are a real success story and well worth seeing.  Sound quality was excellent and the light show whilst not hugely elaborate very effective.

Support was provided by firstly Post War Years a three piece electronica outfit - not bad, good soundscapes etc. at times.  Second up were Dawes from LA - a very USA folk-rock sound.  I like these a lot actually, good songs well structured and played, a good sound overall and superb vocal harmonies.  They came back on to perform with Mumford & Sons notably in the rousing show closer, the Beatles classic (although I prefer the unsurpassed Joe Cocker version myself) With a Little Help From My Friends.  Lastly Piff the Magic Dragon made a couple of appearances between the acts but his magic act didn't really work in a venue like the O2 - not helped by the hapless camera work - I presume there had been no rehearsal of that bit - too many close ups of the face of Piff and his audience volunteer meaning you missed the actual trick!

Comments

  1. Off topic a bit but it's funny how we must adjust to doing things as a family "minus" one now that we have a kid off to college. For us it's been a year already and I'm still adjusting to the mentality.

    Will I ever convince you to either not moderate or get rid of the word verification? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry - the level of SPAM I was getting led inexorably to having to have both measures on... I'd rather not but ...

      Delete
  2. Being a musician should be a requirement for anyone writing a concert or album review. It lends a deeper understanding of the goings-on.

    Did you happen so see the Rolling Stones? Would you, if you could? I'm not a huge fan, but I wish I could have seen their concert in Brooklyn. I just don't make that kind of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest about the Stones... possibly... I'm a bit odd (read the blog!) but some of those "unbelievable acts" don't inspire me like others. I wouldn't pay what they wanted for the tickets let's say that - personally they were best when Mick Taylor was with them - just my opinion.

      Delete
  3. Great review-the feeling it gave me reminded me of my friends ' Stickfight Dave's descriptive joy in retelling me his Brian Setzer guitar lusts at a recent holiday show! Keep going !!!

    STAGG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would LOVE to see them the next tour - i don't see many 'big' concerts, preferring small venues, festivals and the like, but these guys are on my short list! Loved the review! Sold!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Mumford & Sons. I do a decent version of their song White Blank Page.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fantasy Signature Guitar

Let's talk plectrums...

12 String Guitar - Bridge Doctor Installation