Stuff...

Last week has been variable ... sounds like I'm giving the shipping forecast here doesn't it!

Monday.  I attended the funeral of an AA friend.  A lovely, bubbly, funny, fun person sadly cut down too early in life through cancer.  The chapel was packed, with a large number of AA friends there showing just how much she was loved and how much she meant to so many of us.  The service was a non religious one, which was very nice.  At one point the lady leading it mentioned a prayer that meant a lot to Lynn and started to recite the Serenity Prayer - the adopted prayer of AA.  Without prompting the AA members present all joined in.  I had to stop before the end as I was so choked up. I don't drink.  I go to AA meetings and am involved in AA service to hopefully spread the word to those suffering alcoholism and to keep me sober.  It has just become a way of life.  Every now and then I'm really really shown how lucky and important this all is in my life.  That was one of those moments.  I've heard others who were there talking about the that moment in the same way.  It was very very special a sad day but also a day to celebrate both her life and how I met and knew her and what we both are a small part of.

Tuesday was interesting.  So I'm going to go public about this, I doubt anyone from work actually reads this blog, I don't actively promote it in that environment etc. so... well what the heck.  Basically on Tuesday I tendered my resignation at work.  After a long time I realise that I'm feeling the same about work here as I did 3 years ago in the company I'd worked at for a long time.  Then I wasn't sure whether these feelings were because I'd grown old in the company as it were, because there had been a lot of changes and it was a contracting environment, 6 months after I left they announced a complete closure of the site, although that was partly reversed later.  But here I am in a different environment with the same feelings.  Feelings of lack of enthusiasm, too much cynicism  etc.  So since around Christmas I've been considering my future.  I feel I need a new different challenge and to move my working career in a new direction.  I've identified a course I plan to enrol on that starts in Sept.  That is one day a week and I need some other time around that to do coursework and look for opportunities to practice what I'm learning on the course in the hope to becoming fully qualified in about year.

As ever things never quiet go the way you intend them.  My boss was disappointed whilst respecting my decision and came back later in the week with a question regarding whether I'd consider going part time.  I had a think about it and said yes - within some constraints, which he has agreed to take on board at the moment.  So the situation now is that he is working with our senior management and HR about whether that can be achieved or not.  If it does then best of both worlds, I retain some income and a foot in the world of work in my profession of 30 years whilst I retrain and look for a new career direction.  We'll wait and see how it goes.

Valentine's Day - for the first time in a very long time it was just Mrs F and I at home together on that evening.  Mrs F cooked a smashing steak meal that was lovely.  She bought me a couple of CDs I was wanting to boot. :-)

Friday was one of those AA "business" meetings.  I don't mind them now when I first got into service at that level I was nervous about how to act, etc. etc. now whilst I can find them tiring I don't find them tiresome. I felt it was a worth while few hours spent that evening sharing views and opinions.  I learn a lot from taking part in them with an open mind as well as a view to state my position or position of those I represent as appropriate.

My brother and sister-in-law popped down to visit yesterday (Sunday) and that was great to see them have a great meal and a catch up - which normally involves my brother and I putting the world to rights about something or other :-)  One thing this year that is different from normal is our basking in Gillingham FCs successes as opposed to failures.  Back to top of the league again!  Seriously can we start to hope for automatic promotion yet?  Shhh... don't say it.

So lots of "stuff" going on.

Comments

  1. A great round-up.

    Your boss must really appreciate and value you. I hope the part-time thing comes off for you. A big step though. Well done.

    Sorry to hear about another AA member dying. What you do by maintaining your sobriety and supporting and encouraging others is of immense value. And it takes such commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your friend, but I'm sure she'd be pleased to know how she touched your life and that her funeral reminded you of your gratitude.

    I'm really glad you figured out a course if action for your job. I'd noticed that it didn't seem to be very rewarding for you and I hope your new path is much more satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's how my Father-in-Law works as well. Hasn't had a drop in decades but is still involved with the local chapters. He finds a great solace in it.

    What great news about your work. I hope the Powers That Be can see their way to your part-time status. Wish I could swing that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I was wondering how things were . . Now I'm, curious (nosey) about your new career, I suppose you'll tell us eventually.
    I'm glad that it worked out for you in the "best of both worlds", sounds ideal. Has the training anything to do with music?
    Great to see a post from you, sending love x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually no the career direction change is more into a helping industry and not music related.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry for your loss, Furtheron. As I read about the service, it touched me too. You described it beautifully.

    I'm glad you've come to conclusion about your job. I remember you were at a cross roads months ago and it's good to see you have some sort of peace now and moving forward with something else while still having an income too. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really great to hear all your news - and 'epic' week indeed. Good luck for all your plans, great to have some options :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. It sounds like a moving service and busy week for you. Exciting news on the job/education front. Wish you all the best there and always nice to hear someone following their dreams.

    I read the part about business meetings with particular interest, as I had a falling out over that a few months ago as a relative newcomer. I will think on your words. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sad to hear you have lost a friend - too early, by the sounds of it - but impressed and excited to hear you are taking a step into the unknown in your professional life. Sometimes you just have to take a risk. Good man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sorry for the loss of your friend, although it is clear that she was loved, and made a difference. We can't ask for much more than that on our way out, can we?

    Congratulations on making such a brave step - and i hope the part-time arrangement provides balance through the transition. i haven't been out and about on the blog circuit as much since my job change in January. i love it, and am happy again to go to the office. It has changed my entire outlook on life, and i am feeling much more balanced! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fantasy Signature Guitar

Let's talk plectrums...

12 String Guitar - Bridge Doctor Installation